Saturday, March 08, 2008

Blue and Gold

Yesterday was the Blue and Gold banquet and since Mike is a cub scout leader we were all there as a family. Their theme for the year is Chinese New Year and it is the Year of the Rat, so we had a Chinese food buffet and they had up some cool decorations and had spelled out all the boys names in Chinese letters. We also had the cake decorating contest. Every cub scout and leader were supposed to bring a decorated cake to be judged and everything on it had to be edible. I had tried to get Mike to make his own the night before but we got too busy so I ended up having to do it.
Luke and his daddy. Cameryn impatiently waiting for food.
Devon, Kathryn, and her friend Maddie.

Mike had already bought a mix so I was thankfully spared from having to do one from scratch. I had wanted to spend a good part of the day reading as I also had my book club last night and had about 150 pages left to read of the book. (I hadn't gotten it till recently because it had already been borrowed from the library and I had to put it on hold) I hate going to these things without having read the book but I had chores that needed to be done and I also had to make and decorate a cake. I had no idea what to put on it do I just went and bought a whole bunch of different goodies to play around with as decorations. I had M&M's, Hershey kisses, chocolate chips, sliced almonds, walnuts, raisins, marshmallows, black and green decorating icing and sugar cones (for ice cream). This is what I came up with from all those things:

The first one is mine and the one next to it is Devon and my dad's cake. I personally think that my dad's rat looks a lot better than the one I drew, I mean it actually looks like a rat. Whereas mine looks like some weird, fat rat that some little kid drew. Hey, I never said I could draw.

These are just two of the other cakes that I thought were really cool looking.

So they called each of the tables to eat and as they were walking up they were supposed to vote on which of the cakes they liked best and that cake would get the "People's Choice award. I voted for my dad's cake cause I like chocolate and I thought it was a really good drawing with icing of a rat. After quickly eating though I had to leave so I could go to my book club. Mike called me later on his way home with the kids and told me that I had won this:
Pretty cool huh!! Hey at least I at a good excuse for not finishing my book on time for book club.. I was baking an award winning cake- haha.

I really enjoy going to the Cub Scout activities. The boys are so fun and they really like Mike and I think that he really enjoys himself. I took all the pictures cuz I knew that I wanted to do a post about it but it was an added bonus that I also got to brag about my awesome cake decorating skills (seriously kidding- I think people only voted for it cuz I had so much candy and color on it. They seemed to like the end of the ice cream cone for a nose too).

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow nice cake decorating skills!! Mike looks so cute in that picture. I 'm glad that he has a good time. I look forward to those days!! Just one more year for Navek!! Yipee

Gina said...

Congrats on the award! Very fun photos! Love seeing everyone!