Monday, May 12, 2008


I meant to write this on Friday but I just haven't gotten around to it. I wrote about getting my blood taken on Monday and then on Wednesday the nurse called me back and scheduled me to come in to talk about my test results. She made it for Monday but after thinking about it, I didn't want to wait 5 more days feeling like I was so I called and rescheduled for Friday.

The doctor went over all my results starting with my blood sugar (and some others that i don't know what they are but they are all fine), my cholesterol is PERFECT, and some other one that was fine too. Then we got to my thyroid tests. Bear with me as I try to explain this. They had at first ordered one test on my thyroid to measure the hormone coming from the pituitary gland (called TSH) that told the thyroid to produce it's hormone. The normal results are 0.350-5.500 and my TSH was 0.021. As you can hopefully see that is really low. My pituitary gland didn't need to send much of a signal because my thyroid is over producing by a lot (obviously). After they got that test in they ordered more to find out how much my thyroid was overproducing. They got those while I was there on Friday. The normal level for the hormone that a thyroid produces is between 0-40. Can you guess how high mine is? My level is 329!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's just a tad over, right.

I am just glad to know the reason for all of my problems. And I do mean all. The symptoms are nausea, headaches, shaking, heart palpitation, insomnia, high metabolism (weight loss), increased hunger, muscle weakness and there are more that I can't really remember, but these are the ones that I had. I was also extremely tired but my doctor said that the reason is probably because all my systems are going going going because of my hyperthyroidism which is making me VERY tired. I am now on medicine to get my thyroid under control and a beta blocker for my heart so it will slow down too. My resting heart rate was 110 beats per minute which is way too fast since I think it's supposed to be somewhere between 70 and 80. I keep reaching to feel my pulse because it's so nice and normal now, it's weird to think for three weeks it was pumping so fast. If hyperthyroidism goes too long without treatment, you can have heart failure and I can definitely see why.

So, I am starting to feel a little better but the thyroid medicine probably has to be in my system for longer to completely work. I did have to cancel my surgery because of all this but I would rather be on the safe side, especially with having to be on heart medicine. I feel all old though having these problems. I have to have a ultrasound done of my thyroid to see if there are any cysts or gouts on it making it go crazy and then I have to go back in to see the doctor. She also referred me to a specialist in Rockville. My mom went there to that practice and she really liked them. When they tell me that my thyroid is back under control then i can reschedule my surgery. I just hope it's soon, I wanted to be all healed and better by summer. I know that's dumb to worry about with all my problems now but still. I want to go to the pool!!!


Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I am so glad you got all the tests and you are being treated now. What an odd thing to happen to you. Your poor heart and body. I don't know how you kept going like that. Keep us updated.

Jessica said...

Wow, I had no idea! Mom said that you are going through a lot right now. I hope that things get better and you can find some good medication that works right for you.

My friend Missy read your blog entry before me and told me about your news. I told her to start commenting on your blog!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Love you!